Friday, September 25, 2009

More MPG


Some time ago, probably near the 1990's also, manufacturers started to streamline the transmission industry of the automotive world by mainlining the automatic transmission.

I started riding motorcycles about a year ago and have also driven many manual transmission vehicles. One day while driving my PT cruiser, I thought, why not drive it like a manual and place my automatic into neutral at all stops when I will not be moving for more than a second.

The PT Transmission slips in an out of gear with the flick of the wrist and no brake pedal required or push of the trans button in the lever, so you can't accidentally change into the wrong gear. With motorcycles or manual transmissions, you have to pull the clutch in and slip into neutral at a light to be able to let the clutch out. Usage of the clutch takes all the power away from the wheels meaning that the engine is running at the lowest possible RPM range when the clutch is pulled.

Did this for a short while in my PT at lights as a test. Averaged 230 to tank of 11.5 gallons under normal driving. Averaged 270 to tank of 11.5 with the Neutral trick. Got 300 once after filling up with Chevron and using an additive which I always use.
Yes 300 miles to my 11.5 out of a N/A auto Pt city driving.

My PT Cruiser has over 110k on the odometer.

You can subscribe to my posts by clicking here SUBSCRIBE!

Please leave a comment, I appreciate them!

Colby Butler aka Kingkole02

No comments:

Powered By Blogger
Copyright Colby Butler 2008 All Rights Reserved